I want all my computing environments "furnished" similarly and as close to my personal taste as possible - be it big and small machines, self-administered and user accounts of others.
The environments are seldom fully equal, so simply copying things around is rarely useful.
Here's a checklist of things that I need to customize and syncronize for me and my friends to feel at $HOME…:
- Tools available on the system
- Graphical login and Desktop environments
- Adjust fonts, colors etc. of terminal emulator, file manager etc.
- Register SSH in monkeysphere, MAC in DHCP and hostname in DNS
- Syncronize browser bookmarks
- Install/configure browser search plugins, config tweaks etc.
- Setup email and messaging accounts, and syncronize archives
- Syncronize development scripts, git repositories etc.
- Register account in monkeysphere
Above is work-in-progress. I hope to later extend with more details - probably by linking to separate pages about each subtopic.